I was looking for a basic and simple dessert to make for my mom, since she's not a huge fan of heavy frosting or too much chocolate. When I came across this recipe for a little vanilla cake from SimpleBKitchen, I was so excited!
You Will Need:
1 stick of butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/4 cups of sugar
3 large eggs
2 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8" round cake pan.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating each time until batter is smooth, then add vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients into the batter, alternating with milk.
5. Pour the mixture into your greased cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or when a toothpick comes out clean. I had some trouble getting the center of this cake to cook through, so mine took closer to the 40 minute mark to bake.
Allow the cake to cool completely before turning it out of the pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with your favorite fruit.
This was such a flavorful, light cake- although it had the consistency of a pound cake it was not very heavy or overly buttery. It was a huge hit in our family!